Let's keep in touch!
Want to keep in the loop on the latest happenings at Chabad @ Flamingo? Subscribe to our mailing list below. We'll send you information that is fresh, relevant, and important to you and our local community.
Printed from ChabadFlamingo.com

About Us

About Us

 Email

AboutUs_Wide.jpg

Who Are We?
Torah teachings whose credos encompass and enhance life's experiences.
Intellectually, we are meant to know and understand G‑d.
Emotionally, we can find relevant value and meaning in G‑d's Torah.
Functionally, we can actualize knowledge and feelings by practicing Judaism with an emphasis on unconditional love of our fellow and thus enjoy deep personal satisfaction and a profound sense of fulfillment and happiness.
The Chabad-Lubavitch movement is dedicated to spreading the wonders and rewards of Judaism throughout the world.

Our History Rabbi Israel ben Eliezer (1698-1760), known as the Baal Shem Tov, established the Chassidic movement. He emphasized the unique importance of every Jew, regardless of how Jewishly learned or observant they may or may not be. He taught that love of one's fellow Jew, devotion in prayer, whole-hearted sincerity and joy in Torah study, accompanied by the observance of Mitzvot, are the fundamental essences of serving G‑d.
Rabbi Shneur Zalman of Liadi, (1745-1812), known as the Alter (old) Rebbe, succeeded the Baal Shem Tov as the leader of the Chassidic Movement. He distilled the teachings of the Baal Shem Tov into a lucid, systematic, highly intellectual, yet practical philosophy that was called "Chabad" after the Hebrew acronym for "Wisdom, Understanding and Knowledge".


The Alter Rebbe's teachings were preserved, developed and amplified by his successors, the subsequent Rebbes of Chabad. For 100 years the Rebbes lived in the Byellorussian village of Lubavitch, whose name, appropriately, means "town of love".


Each Rebbe was involved, at great personal sacrifice, in the struggles of the Jews of his time. Most suffered imprisonment, torture, or exile at the hands of the oppressive Tsarist, Communist and Nazi regimes.
In our generation, Chabad flourished in an unprecedented way under the leadership of the Rebbe, Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, of righteous memory. His pragmatic emphasis on translating ideas into deeds galvanized the Jewish world with the message that all individuals are capable of making a real difference and can help usher in the biblically prophesized utopian Messianic era.

Young or old, learned or unlearned, liberal or conservative, the Rebbe accepted all as partners in the creation of a holy, perfect world.

Inspired by the Rebbe's towering personage and extraordinarily dynamic leadership following the Holocaust, Chabad has emerged as the largest and most dynamic religious, educational and social force in the Jewish world, impacting countless communities and individuals across the globe Currently operating in nearly seventy three countries on six continents, Chabad-Lubavitch International boasts more than three thousand branches, which include synagogues, schools, community and youth centres, social agencies, summer camps, soup kitchens, medical clinics and even non-sectarian drug rehabilitation centers.
Almost one million children are now being educated in Chabad schools, institutions, summer camps and extracurricular programs annually. Every year, the Chabad movement touches the lives of millions around the globe through a kaleidoscope of innovative programming for all ages.
In 1994, following the Rebbe's passing, pundits around the world predicted that the 250-year-old Chassidic movement could not survive without the Rebbe's charismatic and commanding physical presence. Instead, thank G‑d, the last 14 years has seen it grow faster than during his mortal lifetime.

Above all the other speculative causes, the primary reason for Chabad's continued vitality is the Rebbe's army of "Shluchim" (emissaries). An inspired force of more than 3,800 couples comprised of smart, idealistic, young to middle-aged men and women filled with zeal, energy and love of the Jewish people plus a deep-rooted desire to make a difference. They dedicate their lives to founding, developing and maintaining the Chabad outreach centres throughout the world.


There are currently 72 active Chabad-Lubavitch Centres in Canada; 21 of them are in the Province of Ontario.


Our centres everywhere serve the social, educational and religious needs of all Jews no matter what their level of knowledge, observance or affiliation.


Internationally, the annual operating costs of the collective Chabad "activities" approach the astounding figure of one billion dollars (this does not include construction costs for new and expanded facilities, which are usually tens of millions a year).


Most Chabad centres, including Chabad Flamingo, operate independently and raise their funds locally. Aside from seed money, we neither receive nor channel funds to any central organization.

In the late 1980s, Rabbi Zalman A. Grossbaum, the visionary director of Chabad Lubavitch activities in the Province of Ontario, took notice of the planning of new neighborhoods in the northern areas of Thornhill. He inspired Mr. Ernest Manson, a local developer, to commit a 2.4-acre site for a future Chabad Centre.

Mr. Manson passed away, on the wings of a mitzvah, shortly after making this gracious donation. As the area developed, his family generously honoured his commitment. Rabbi Grossbaum then appointed Rabbi Mendel and Faygie Kaplan, to serve as the Shluchim to the area.

Filled with energy, optimism and dedication, the Kaplan’s founded Chabad Flamingo shortly after their arrival from Jerusalem in the spring of 1998. Little did they know that they would soon be enthusiastically welcomed by the diverse multi-cultural assortment of Canadian Jews living in the area.

The Kaplan's and Chabad Flamingo provided a genuine, common foundation where these various elements came together. Beginning at ground zero, without a single contact in the neighbourhood, remarkable growth ensued.

In the fall of 1999, Chabad Flamingo moved into the magnificent but still incomplete, Ernest Manson Lubavitch Centre. The state-of-the-art, 22,000 square foot facility included a synagogue sanctuary, beth midrash chapel and library, classrooms, administrative offices, multi-purpose social hall which also serves as an auditorium and gymnasium, a fully-serviced kitchen and attractive mikvah (ritual bath) facilities.

In the winter of 2006/07 the women’s mikvah was totally renovated and remodeled into a spa-like facility that is currently the most beautiful mikvah in the country! At the same time a handsome new men’s mikvah was added as well.

As the community continued to outgrow the (still relatively new) building plans were laid for the addition of 22,000 additional square feet. In the spring of 2008 ground was broken on phase one of this most ambitious project.

Completion of phase one, which includes a stunning new synagogue sanctuary (seating nearly 700), a bridal/simcha suite, new entrances and ancillary rooms, a renovated Beth Midrash and totally remade landscaping and parking area’s have been completed .


 Email